Thursday, April 24, 2014

Ahhha moment...

For whatever reason, last night I was thinking again about my career choice and choice of major in college. What I seemed to realize, was that in addition to my teaching certification, I received a bachelors in English and if I ever had the opportunity to go back, I probably would have picked the same major again. I have always enjoyed reading, I loved studying literature in high school, and I would go back to school to take a literature class again!

I remember going into college and WANTING to take some literature and art classes. I had taken both. I wasn't "allowed" to take art classes because I wasn't an art major with a portfolio. Also, at that time, to be an artist, I knew I didn't have to take a class or earn a degree. I could learn techniques and mediums outside of a "class." I took a pre-writing class to make sure I would succeed in my writing courses. I enjoyed being challenged by my courses and actually enjoyed the first time I got a B because the teacher was giving me insightful and honest feedback and my favorite paper to write was from a history class in which I received a C! I like history because of the reading and exploration of the evolution of culture through text. Same from my anthropology class.

I am a writer at heart and was feeling anxious today because I had not taken the amount of time I wanted to spew out all of my most precious revelations in the last day and this morning. This was the last thought on my way back to my house following the enlightenment regarding my choice of studies in college: I am a writer and I can be at peace with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, Thank you for taking the time to read my blog. Any response is appreciated.