Sunday, October 16, 2016

Seat Yourself

I had an old chair that the cushion was no longer a cushion and the black covering was just boring. I decided to redo it with a bit of the fabric that I got at a thrift store for 2 bucks. I have probably 3 yards of this fabric.

I pulled off the fabric and the cushion. I found that the chair actually has a hole cut through the seat of the chair. Kind of like it used to be a chamber pot chair. Gross.

But whatever. Still a cool chair.

The board holding the cushion was in ok condition. It was probably about 1/4 or 3/8 inch thick. Which was sufficient since it rests on the seat of the chair. You could tell that they had re-purposed a scrap piece of wood. It sort of resembled material that cupboards or wood paneling is made of.

I purchased a $8 - 2 inch chair cushion from Fields Fabrics. I cut the foam with a utility knife using the wood seat as my guide. This was a bit trickier that I thought. Since the foam was so thick, I had to make two or more cuts down the side careful not to cut on an angle.

I then laid the fabric over the wood and cushion and cut to size with enough to pull over the edge.

I then stapled the fabric to the wood using 1/4 inch staples. I edged it with upholstery cording on 3 of the sides. I did not put cording around the back side of the seat.

Here's the results!




Sorry that I wasn't great at taking pictures throughout the process. I was too busy trying to figure it out. I have another chair, a different style, that I will be covering with the same material, and I will be more intentional about taking pictures throughout that process.

Best,
Melanie

1 comment:

  1. I recently saw a picture of how to redo the seat cushions for chairs that I believe will help achieve a better more long lasting result. I reference the picture in my post when I update the next chair.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, Thank you for taking the time to read my blog. Any response is appreciated.